Three Before-Shower Strategies For A Better Body
If you’re feeling like you’ve hit a plateau and can’t seem to make progress, here are three things you can do before your morning shower that will jumpstart your metabolism, and set your day up for success. These aren’t gimmicks or impossible goals; they are simple tactics I live by each and every morning.
My days begin with a 20-minute gratitude meditation, then I press play on my iPod and listen to a playlist that includes Ingrid Michaelson and Sam Smith. Create your own morning ritual by trying the following three habits. These simple changes that will give you a jumpstart to a better body and improved health. After a while, they’ll become second nature.
1. Do a morning shot
Start your morning off with one of the following 3 drinks:
- A glass (or two!) of water to keep the metabolism high. Drinking at least 16 ounces of H2O can kick your metabolism up to 30% for the next hour. Throughout the day, set a goal to drink ten glasses of water and eliminate any other form of liquid calories. I found the best way to this is to set a timer and to drink a glass every hour on the hour from 8 am to 5 pm.
- A cup of green tea. Green tea has been shown to reduce body weight, increase fat metabolism, reduce cholesterol, and release powerful age-defying antioxidants. If you’re dreading a coffee withdrawal, never fear. Green tea has just the right amount of caffeine to keep you alert at work. It’s the perfect beverage for enhancing your health and improving your physique. Plus, if you make too much, you can freeze it and add it to your next protein shake!
- A ginger shot to stimulate your body and wake you up! Ginger is an age-old treatment for nausea, plus it’s a natural anti-inflammatory.
To make your morning ginger shot, boil a cup of hot water, squeeze in a lemon, and add in a few few cubes of freshly-chopped ginger. Sprinkle with cayenne pepper!
2. Roll out your mat for movements that matter
(Include this warming move in your morning routine,
to awaken your body and start off your yoga session.
The clip is from a collaboration I did with Rod Stryker for my Yoga Sculpt video.)
Not only does yoga help lengthen and tone muscles, but it also helps you be mindful of your breath so you make better choices throughout the day.
Yoga is a simple and powerfully effective workout for toning your body and getting your muscles going.
By raising your metabolic rate first thing in the morning, you’ve won half the battle towards improving your physique. A few simple yoga routines will jumpstart your body’s calorie-burning machine, and keep it burning faster all day long.
Yoga has a triple benefit on your body.
- First, it gives your metabolism a swift kick, keeping you slimmer.
- Second, yoga tones muscle, giving you a leaner look.
- Finally, yoga helps you to fight stress and anxiety, both of which have been tied to excess weight.
Yoga is a great addition to your strength-training repertoire, especially as a morning wake up. And it prepares both your mind and body for the day ahead. Calm your mind while strengthening your muscles with Core And More, my ultimate combination of yoga and pilates. Plus, Core and More is paired with a workout calendar to take the guesswork out of planning your routine!
3. Practice Planning
If your day is off to a stellar start, don’t blow it by sinking your teeth into junk food later on. Good eating begins with good planning, and that planning happens at the start of the day. Planning will help you stick to your goals, staving off those pesky extra ounces that come from indulging. Before breakfast is the perfect time to pack your lunch, select a dinner recipe, and slip a snack or two into your purse.
Breakfast sets the tone for the entire day, and you don’t want to skip your morning meal. Here’s a delectable shake recipe that has tons of healthy goodness (and even some chocolate). If you’re in the mood for something warm and comforting, try my protein-packed Santa Monica Omelet.
The before-breakfast solution to a better body is simple. Do your yoga, drink some water and green tea, and prepare healthy food. You only have one opportunity each day to put these practices into motion. Before breakfast is the golden opportunity to create a haven of health and repose before the day begins. With each morning, you’ll be taking action toward a more vibrant body.
Get Kathy Smith’s Yoga Sculpt (DVD containing above video clip) for only $12.99
thanks ,this is very good news for us.i am very glade bcause i am doing these all so.and i will start green tea .thanks
I drink white tea. I read that it has less caffeine in it…so that is why I drink it. Should I be drinking green tea??
You mention drinking 10 glasses of water a day. What do you think of current reports that it’s not necessary to drink 8 glasses of water? You can get water through food by eating balanced meals. Here’s on article: http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/health/8-glasses-of-water-a-day-an-urban-myth-1.1196386. Plus there’s no way to drink 10 glasses of water when working. You’ll be in the bathroom most of the day. I doubt an employer would appreciate that. Being hydrated is necessary and important. But not by drinking 8 or 10 glasses of water.