- 1 pound uncooked ground turkey (not too lean)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons purchased basil pesto
- 3 to 4 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 28-ounce jar low-fat tomato pasta sauce
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
Mix turkey, egg, and pesto in a large bowl. Add 3 tablespoons bread crumbs and mix well. If mixture seems too moist, add the remaining tablespoon of bread crumbs. Add pepper to taste.
Pour pasta sauce into a 10-inch skillet with a lid and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Moisten hands with cold water and roll turkey mixture into golf ball-size meatballs and place gently in hot pasta sauce (you should have 12 to 14 meatballs). Cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until cooked through, shaking the pan halfway through cooking to roll over the meatballs. Transfer meatballs and sauce to a serving plate. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, if desired. Serves 2 to 3.