PROTEIN SHAKE MISTAKES
But…Even weight loss smoothies that claim to be “healthy” can be full of sugar and empty calories. And, it’s easier than you might think to make your smoothie a sugar-bomb.
Adding high-sugar ingredients such as bananas, mangoes, pineapple, fruit juice, honey, or even cow’s milk can turn your smoothie into an unhealthy dessert and cause irritable bowel syndrome, acid reflux, and more.
Avoid protein shake mistakes by following these guidelines…
- Stick with low-sugar fruit such as berries, cherries and apples.
- Choose unsweetened almond, coconut or cashew milk instead of cow’s milk, fruit juice, or dairy. You can also use chilled green tea for a base!
- Don’t add soy protein. This high GMO product can impact your gut health.
- Don’t overlook the fiber! That’s one way to make sure your shake will keep you satisfied and keep your blood sugar balanced. Easy ways to add fiber are with chia seeds, freshly-ground flax seeds, or half a cup of organic kale or spinach.
- Add in healthy fats, which can come from half of a small avocado, a squeeze of fish oil…I use Barlean’s mango peach flavor, which tastes great and gives me my omega 3-s and vitamin D
And before we go any further, here are 4 mouth-wateringly delicious recipes that will help you lose weight and feel satisfied until your next meal. Plus, they will supply you with proper nutrients (even when you’re in a hurry) and also help you maintain healthy blood sugar levels.