Mental Focus Protein Shake
Adding in a serving of healthy fats, which can come from half of a small avocado, a squeeze of fish oil, or Barlean’s mango peach flavor, make the shake tastes great and gives you omega 3-s and vitamin D. As an added bonus, you’ll receive not only a touch of natural sweetness, but also a boost of mental clarity to refuel the brain and body.
Remember…fat doesn’t make you fat! Adding a dose of good fats to your meals can help promote healthy hair, nails and bones, protect your heart, keep your skin soft, curb over-eating, and keep your brain sharp. Turn your shake into a brain booster by adding one of these fat options.
5 OPTIONS FOR ADDING FAT TO YOUR SHAKE
Adding in a serving of healthy fats, can come from half of a small avocado, a squeeze of fish oil, or Barlean’s mango peach flavor, which make the shake taste great and gives you omega 3-s and vitamin D. As an added bonus, you’ll receive not only a touch of natural sweetness, but also a boost of mental clarity to refuel your brain and body.
• Chia seeds – Strengthens your endurance levels while boosting energy! In the Mayan language, chia means “strength,” and runners would use chia seeds as fuel for battle.
• Flax seeds, or flax seed oil – Improves digestion, skin clarity, cardiovascular health, cholesterol and hormone balance while reducing sugar cravings.
• Avocado – Packed with monounsaturated fats (MUFAs) which have been shown to reverse insulin resistance and regulate blood sugar levels. And, they’re good for the heart and the brain! Adding just 1/4 of an avocado makes your smoothie extra creamy.
• Coconut oil – When your body breaks down fat from coconut, ketone levels are increased, especially in the absence of carbohydrates.This process supports your body in activating its natural autophagy process – your inner cellular clean-up crew—helping you to repair damaged cells and tissue, restoring your natural glow.
• MCT Oil – MCTs or Medium-chain triglycerides are a form of saturated fatty acids that have a range health benefits… from improving cognitive function to increasing energy, to balancing hormone levels and absorbing fat-soluble nutrients from various foods. Two of my favorite MCT oils are KetoMCT oil and Simply GOODFATS Organic MCT Oil
MENTAL FOCUS SHAKE RECIPE
8 oz green tea…steeped and chilled
1/2 cup frozen raspberries
1/2 cup plain Greek or Icelandic yogurt
1/2 cup kale
1/4 cup avocado
1 serving vanilla protein powder…check out the Kathy Smith Protein Shake
1 Tbsp coconut or MCT oil
1/2 tsp cinnamon
Place all ingredients in a blender. Add ice to chill. Blend until smooth and serve immediately.
10 REASONS TO DRINK GREEN TEA
1. Contains antioxidants, including polyphenols such as epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG), which can powerfully quench damaging “free radicals,” metabolic byproducts that are chemically reactive and can damage cells. According to a study published in the European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, the polyphenols found in green tea provide six times the radical-quenching potential of those found in black tea.
2. Supports cardiovascular and metabolic health. According to a study published in the Journal of the American College of Nutrition, researchers found subjects consuming five or more cups of green tea per day were less likely to develop hypertension (high blood pressure) and diabetes, or die of cardiovascular disease or stroke. Researchers also found in animal studies that EGCG improved heart health by preventing “overload-induced cardiac hypertrophy” – or thickening of the heart muscles.
3. Helps to prevent fatty buildup in arteries, according to a 2013 study published in the Journal of Biological Chemistry. The investigation found EGCG from green tea may reduce cholesterol levels, ultimately assisting in lowering the risk of cardiovascular disease.
4. Can increase energy and mental focus. Green tea contains a small amount of caffeine, which a 2008 study in Nutrition Bulletin found can improve mood, cognitive function and physical performance. Green tea contains less caffeine than does coffee, and provides L-theanine, an amino acid shown to promote a state of calm awareness. Result: green tea provides the benefits of alertness associated with caffeine without the “jittery” feeling often experienced as a side effect of coffee.
5. Quickly calms and relaxes. L-theanine exhibits anti-anxiety effects by increasing dopamine levels in the brain, and also appears to decrease blood pressure. A study published in Trends in Food Science & Technology found green tea produces relaxing effects without drowsiness only 40 minutes after ingestion.
6. Facilitates the burning of body fat. Green tea promotes the body’s ability to burn fat through thermogenesis and fat oxidation. A study published in The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition found the combination of polyphenols and caffeine from an extract of green tea resulted in a “significant increase” of energy expenditure compared to placebo.
7. May help prevent skin damage and cancer. An animal study published in Mutation Research/Fundamental and Molecular Mechanisms of Mutagenesis found green tea appears to protect against skin papillomas and tumors induced by UVA and UVB light. The study also reported that sun-induced inflammatory changes were “slightly lowered” by tea consumption.
8. May improve bone health. A study published in Nutrition Research found the bioactive components of green tea may help decrease the risk of fracture by improving bone mineral density.
9. May lower the risk of certain types of cancer. Studies have examined green tea’s potential role in lowering risks of breast, ovarian, bladder, esophageal, and prostate cancers. More studies are needed, but research so far is promising.
10. Improves insulin sensitivity and may help protect against diabetes, as well as against rapid rises and subsequent crashes in blood sugar levels that lead to fatigue, irritability, and food cravings. A study in Annals of Internal Medicine found consumption of green tea (as well as black tea and coffee), was associated with a reduced risk of type 2 diabetes.
Bottom line: green tea is a delicious, healthy drink that should be part of your daily diet. Its health benefits are best realized when it’s served hot and with a wedge of lemon, but it can be enjoyed chilled or even iced. There are many varieties of green tea, so experiment until you find one you like!
20% OFF THE BEST TASTING SHAKE
use code: weekend20
• No lactose and casein to prevent bloating
• No artificial sugar
• No soy
• No GMOs
• Mixes easily in all kinds of liquids…water, almond milk, coconut water or green tea
• 8 billion essential probiotics per serving for healthy digestion
• Digestive enzymes that aid in easy absorption
• Whey from free-range cows from the western coast of New Zealand
• Available in chocolate or vanilla