Summer Body Plan
Holding a dumbbell in each hand, start with a squat: Engage your core as you slowly lower the hips toward the floor as if you’re sitting back into a chair. Sink down low, forming a 90-degree angle with your lower body and the floor, but make sure your knees never jut forward past your toes. Keep your weight in your heels, shoulders down and relaxed, chest up, and eyes forward.
- As you push back up to standing, do a bicep curl, bringing both weights up toward your shoulders. Be sure to feel a squeeze in the front of the arm to make sure you’re getting the most out of the move.
- At the top of your bicep curl, rotate the dumbbells until your palms face forward. Then push the weights up into an overhead press.
- Rest dumbbells on your hips as you place your left foot behind you. Instead of stepping directly back, the left foot should move diagonally back, with the back knee bending down directly outside the right foot.
- Fire up the core muscles as you squat down with the right leg, feeling the emphasis on your right glute (weight placed firmly in the right heel) as the left foot lightly supports you.
- As you return to standing, bring the left foot forward, landing with a wide stance.
Punch the right hand across your body, toward the left wall, allowing your right foot to rotate as your torso twists to the left, engaging your right glute.
- Stand with dumbbells in each hand in hammerhead position, with palms facing each other.
- Step out to the right side, with a wide stance. Bend the right leg and lower your hips down as you keep the left leg straight out to the side, feeling a slight stretch in the left inner thigh.
- Pressing off the right foot, keeping your core engaged, push yourself back up to standing.
- As you return to standing, curl the weights up toward your shoulders, squeezing the muscles on the front of the arms for a bicep curl.
- Lie on your back with knees bent. Hold a light to medium weight on the crease between the leg and the hips.
- Lift your hips off the floor. Lift your right leg off the floor and then lift and lower the hips. Repeat with your left leg off the floor.