True or False
HEART HEALTH EDITION
Be smart when it comes to your heart!
February is Heart Health Month, so now is the perfect time to implement small changes that can have a major impact to help you and your loved ones prevent cardiovascular disease.
Let’s play a game of true or false… heart health edition!
TRUE or FALSE…
- A cholesterol test is the ultimate screening to see if you’re at risk for heart disease. FALSE. According to cardiologist Dr. Joel Kahn, the ultimate screening is a Calcium Score. In our conversation on The Art of Living podcast (you can listen below), he said, “Let me spend two minutes on the CT scan called the calcium score. I plead with people to get the CT scan. You need a prescription usually from your doctor to go to the hospital assuming you don’t know anything about your heart arteries– you haven’t had a stint or a bypass. You lie down for about 10 seconds. You hold your breath. There is no needle, no injection. You go home. When you come back zero, you’ve got the ultimate screening. That tells you your arteries are youthful. And actually, it correlates to the incredibly low risk for years of heart attack and strokes, healthier kidneys, healthier lungs, better brain. It’s one of the best things somebody can do, and it’s typically $75 or $100.”
- Women tend to have different heart attack signs than men, with signs induing fatigue, feeling out of breath, or being lightheaded. TRUE
- 27% of people who tested positive for COVID-19 said the disease impacted their heart health. TRUE
- A calcium score tells you the total area of calcium deposits and the density of the calcium, and it shows you how dense your bones are. FALSE – Your calcium score shows the area of calcium deposits and the density of the calcium. A low score suggests a low chance of having a heart attack in the future.
Heart disease is the leading cause of death in America. And yet, it’s one of the most preventable…through exercise and diet.
To help understand practical ways to strengthen your heart and reduce your risk of heart disease, Dr. Joel Kahn joined me on the The Art of Living podcast.
Dr. Kahn is a cardiologist who has seen first-hand the devastating effects of your diet on your heart. He’s one of the world’s top cardiologists who believes that plant-based nutrition is the most powerful source of preventative medicine on the planet. He is the author of The Plant-Based Solution, and sometimes refers to himself as the Top Broccoli in the United States.
This is a comprehensive and highly instructive episode that provides clarity when it comes to…
- The latest research on what type of eating is best for a healthy heart
- How fats impact your heart
- If genetics or lifestyle factors have a larger role in your risk for heart disease
- The ultimate test you can get from your doctor to see the youthfulness of your arteries
I hope you enjoy this deep dive into a topic that is important to all of us… because health is wealth.