Total-Body Density Training Workout
To make any workout more or less advanced, you already know that you can adjust the amount of sets, reps, or amount weight. Another variable you may not have considered is adjusting the density.
Density refers to the amount of work you can perform per unit of time while maintaining proper form. To adjust the density of your routine, you can either…
Keep the amount of sets the same while aiming to decrease your time to complete them
Keep a designated amount of time and see how many sets you can complete in that time period, aiming to improve each time you perform the workout. The routine below uses this method.
Today’s total body density training routine includes 5 moves and 15 reps of each move. Try to fit in as many rounds of the circuit as possible in the allotted time.
This total body routine includes a mix of upper body, lower body, and core exercises that work together to strength the entire body from every angle. Define your body from head to toe!
Increasing your workout’s density puts additional demand on your muscles, encouraging your muscles to develop strength more quickly.
4 Total-body moves.
1 Cardio move.
15 reps per move.
How many sets can you complete?
- Get into a plank position but rest on your elbows instead of your hands.
- Slowly rotate your hips to the right, using your side abdominal muscles (obliques) to drive the motion.
- Maintain control and perform the same swiveling motion to the other side.
- Hold a dumbbell in each hand.
- Take a wide stance, stepping your left foot directly behind you.
- Bend your legs and lower into a lunge position.
- Feel the weight in your right (front) heel as you push yourself back up to standing.
- As you return to standing, perform a tricep kickback: Extend your arms back behind you and squeeze your triceps, feeling the contraction in the back of your arms.
- 10 reps each side.
- Stand with dumbbells in each hand, palms facing each other.
- Step right foot out to the side, taking a wide stance.
- Bend the right leg, lower hips down, and keep the left leg straight to feel a stretch in the left inner thigh.
- Push off the right foot, engage your core, and return to standing.
- As you stand, perform a bicep curl.
- Complete 10 reps on each side.
- Rest dumbbells on hips.
- Step left foot diagonally behind right foot.
- Squat down with right leg, emphasizing right glute.
- As you stand, bring left foot forward.
- Punch right hand across body, engaging right glute.
- Complete 10 reps each side.
- Squat down to rest both hands on the floor. Jump both legs at the same time into a plank position.
- Return to standing, and reach up to the sky.