There’s one aspect of life that’s predictable, and that is…
Life is unpredictable.
We’d all like to step away from the frenzy of life, and find a little peace, quiet, and sense of calmness.
A mindfulness practice can help you find balance in the ups and downs of life, and proceed with grace and strength.
In all my years exploring the mind-body connection, I’ve never experienced anything quite as profound as the power of mindfulness. It relieves stress, and restores a sense of peace by quieting the incessant noise most of us have going on in our minds.
A very simple and effective way to practice mindfulness is by slowing down any activity. For an act to become mindful, it’s important to allow time to process the sensations. For example, the simple act of making tea or coffee in the morning can be a perfunctory habit or a luxurious ritual. At first, the slower speed may feel very strange.
Take a deep breath and join me in today’s mindfulness exercise of slowly brewing your morning coffee or tea. Here are a 7 sensations to concentrate on throughout the process…
- Listen closely to each sound that is created, from the bubbling of the water to the tea sizzling when hot water is poured on top of it.
- Notice the color of the water change, little by little, as the tea steeps.
- Enjoy the fragrance as your tea continues to brew.
- Taste your morning blend, and notice how your tastebuds detect the subtle flavors.
- Hold the mug in your hands, while closing your eyes and focusing on the warming feeling in the palms of your hands.
- Feel the steam as it lightly touches your cheeks while sipping the hot liquid.
- Notice being completely present in the moment. This is mindfulness.