6-Minute Arm Workout
It seems that these days, women are especially concerned with being thin, thin thin! But the truth is, ultra-thin arms will only make you look frail. By focusing on your biceps, triceps and shoulders, you can project a much more youthful and vigorous image. But you won’t just notice the changes in the mirror. You’ll see the results of your arm training every tim you lift a child or carry a heavy grocery bag.
One last word on training your arms: Some women are afraid to work these muscles for fear they’ll develop bulky arms. Believe me, it won’t happen. Building huge muscles requires plenty of testosterone (the hormone men have a lot of) and a workout routine with extremely heavy weights. You don’t have to worry about either one.
Try this 6-minute arm challenge:
Directions: Repeat each of these 4 moves for 30 seconds each. Repeat 3 rounds.
How to do it:
- Holding a dumbbell in each hand, start with a squat: Engage your core as you slowly lower the hips toward the floor as if you’re sitting back into a chair. Sink down low, forming a 90-degree angle with your lower body and the floor, but make sure your knees never jut forward past your toes. Keep your weight in your heels, shoulders down and relaxed, chest up, and eyes forward.
- As you push back up to standing, do a bicep curl, bringing both weights up toward your shoulders. Be sure to feel a squeeze in the front of the arm to make sure you’re getting the most out of the move.
- At the top of your bicep curl, rotate the dumbbells until your palms face forward. Then push the weights up into an overhead press.
- Start without weights, and practice each of the three parts of this exercise separately at first while you master the form. Start by focusing only on squats, then on bicep curls, then overhead presses. Once you feel comfortable with the move, practice combining the movements in an easy, fluid manner – and when you’re ready, add some resistance with light dumbbells.
2. Kickback Lunge
How to do it:
- Holding a dumbbell in each hand, step your left foot directly behind you, taking a wide stance, and bend your legs, lowering your torso down into a lunge. Be sure and maintain that core stability to prevent injury.
- While in lunge position, keep your shoulders over your hips, back knee slightly bent, front knee in alignment with your front toes, shoulders back and down.
- Feel your weight in your right (front) heel as you push yourself to standing.
- As you return to standing, do a tricep kickback: Reach your arms back behind you and extend, feeling a squeeze in the tricep.
- Practice the lunge and tricep kickback movements separately and without weights at first.
3. Skull Crusher
How to do it:
- Sit on a ball, holding medium weights. Roll out until your shoulder blades touch the ball. Squeeze your glutes to lift your hips and rest your head on the ball.
- Bring the weights over your head, bending your elbows until the weights just barely tap the ball.
- Keep your upper arms at that angle as you straighten and bend your elbows.
- Repeat for 30 seconds
- Do not let your back arch. Tuck your pelvis slightly and keep the abdominal muscles active.
- Keep your elbows over your forehead. Do not let them move as you do the presses.
- If your shoulder muscles are tight, you may not be able to tap the ball.
- Lower the weights as close to the ball as you can, staying within a range of motion that is comfortable for your body.
4. Flying Rowe
How to do it:
- Stand on your right leg, holding light weights.
- Place your left leg on the floor behind you.
- Start with your hands directly under your body, palms facing each other, then lift the weights and squeeze the shoulder blades together.
- Repeat 12 times on each leg
- Lift the weights with control. Squeeze your shoulder blades together as you finish the move.
- Keep your abdominal muscles pulled up and in.
Take your arms to the next level with the
30-Days To Your BEST ARMS EVER Challenge!
If you can give me 20 minutes for 30 days, you can have your BEST ARMS EVER!
30-Day Printable Workout Calendar
By using the workout calendar, you’ll eliminate confusion about which workout to do that day. Each workout is specified, so there’s no guesswork on your part. And, it’s designed to sculpt and define your arms in record time!
Lift Weights To Lose Weight 1 (DVD):
Two 20-minute segments to tone your arms and boost your metabolism to help you burn calories all day long! Also includes a BONUS: 10-minute ab routine! (60 minute DVD)
Lift Weights To Lose Weight 2 (DVD):
Uses hand weights and rotational balance movements to sculpt your arms and build poise, posture, and a strong, lean core. (50 minute DVD)
Cardio Knockout (DVD):
The combination of kickboxing, Aerobox, and Tai Chi will get your arms into knock-out shape! Improve your endurance, coordination, and balance, while enjoying an exhilarating rush of endorphins. (170 minute three-part DVD)