Attention: New Years is almost here! But don’t sweat it. You still have time to rev up your metabolism if you turn up the volume on your fitness routine today! And that’s why I can’t wait to show you the 3 moves (below) that will tone every inch of your body. So get your light weights ready, and start bumping up your caloric burn and toning from head to toe in order to keep your metabolism intensified 24/7. Let’s get started!
Move 1: Twisting Squat
How to do it:
Stand with feet hip distance apart, holding light weights in each hand. Push your hips back until your knees are bent to about a 90-degree angle, pulling weights to the chest. As you rise keep the left foot and hip parallel but pivot on the right toe, turning your whole body to the left. As you pivot on the right toe, squeeze the right glute while bringing the weights overhead toward your left side.
Repetitions: 12 with your right toe pivoting and 12 with your left.
- As you squat sit back into your heels and keep your chest up.
- As you pivot squeeze your glute.
- As the weights go overhead make sure that you remain in control. Do not let your back arch or round. Keep your core braced.
How to do it:
Start in a modified push-up position with your forearms and feet on the floor. Have your feet about 12 inches apart. Pull the navel in toward the spine and keep it there as you breathe in and out for about 15 seconds. Roll to your right forearm, turning both your feet onto their sides. With your left arm in the air, squeeze the shoulder blades together, opening your chest. Hold this for 15 seconds. Then roll to the left forearm, lifting your right arm into the air. Squeeze the shoulder blades together again and open the chest. Hold for 15 seconds.
Repetitions: 1 in the plank, 1 on right forearm, 1 on left forearm.
- Keep your abdominal muscles lifted and your navel pulled in toward your spine.
- Hips should stay lifted when rolling to a side.
- Pull the shoulder blades together when you lift one arm off the fl oor.
- As you do these moves, keep your body stiff and tight in the position.
Move 3: Lunge from 9 to 3
How to do it:
Stand with feet together, holding a light weight in each hand. Take a wide step to the right, pressing the weight in your left hand in front of your body at shoulder height. Return to starting position, then lunge to the left, pressing the weight in your right hand in front of your body at shoulder height.
Repetitions: 12 on each side.
- Make sure your stance is wide enough. Your knee should be over the ankle in the lowest part of the lunge.
- As you drop your hips into the lunge, keep your weight in your heel. Do not let your weight shift into your toes.
- Keep your chest open and your shoulders back.