Take The Manic Out Of Dinner With 4 Quick, One-Pan Recipes
- White Bean, Kale and Pesto Soup – The pesto melts perfectly into the soup, leaving each divine bite full of a smooth, creamy texture and herbal flavor.
- Curried Lentils and Sweet Potatoes – A bite of this dish, and you’ll savor the spicy, earthy, Indian flavors. Serve it vegetarian, or add in some ground turkey for an extra protein boost.
- Roasted Broccoli With Shrimp – For ages, the Chinese have paired broccoli with shrimp and crowned it a perfect combo. The simple but incredible method is to roast these two seemingly pedestrian ingredients together, season them with Middle Eastern spices, and then finish off with a squirt of lemon.
- Salmon On A Bed Of Kale – Salmon is a regular at my dinner table. It’s full of healthy fats that can actually help your body shed pounds. And as a bonus, it’s packed with omega-3s, which help your body fight inflammation.
Remember, healthy eating is only one part of the weight loss equation. If you’re looking to crush calories and tone your entire body in the shortest amount of time, try the calorie-devouring routines in my Toned In 10 Mins Kit! (The kit includes three of my fan-favorite fat-loss DVDs!)
White Bean, Kale, and Pesto Soup
2 TBS olive oil 1 onion, coarsely chopped 4 carrots, peeled and sliced about 1/4 in. thick 4 cloves garlic, minced 1/2 tsp dried oregano 1/2 tsp dried parsley 4 c. chicken or vegetable broth (use vegetable broth to make the recipe vegetarian) 1/2 large head fresh kale, roughly torn into bite-sized pieces (or 1 1/2 c. frozen chopped kale) 1 can cannelini beans, rinsed 1/2 c. prepared pesto (homemade is best, but store-bought is fine too) 1/2 c. grated pecorino cheese 1/4 tsp nutmeg (optional, but I love the interplay of pecorino and nutmeg)
• Heat oil in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add onion and carrot, and saute, stirring occasionally, for 5-8 minutes, or until vegetables have begun to soften. Add garlic, oregano, and parsley, and cook 2 minutes more, stirring. • Add chicken broth, kale, and beans, bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer for 15 minutes, until kale and carrots are tender. Remove from heat and stir in pesto, cheese, and nutmeg. Serve hot with additional grated cheese and crusty bread.
Curried Lentils and Sweet Potatoes
Yields 8 to 10 side-dish servings; 6 main-course servings. 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil 1 medium onion, chopped 4 garlic cloves, minced 1 1-inch piece fresh ginger root, peeled and grated 1 1/2 teaspoons garam masala 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded if desired, then minced 4 to 5 cups vegetable broth as needed 2 pounds orange-fleshed sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 4 cups) 1 1/2 cups dried lentils 1 bay leaf 1 pound Swiss chard, center ribs removed, leaves thinly sliced 1 teaspoon kosher salt, more to taste 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro Finely grated zest of 1 lime Juice of 1/2 lime 1/3 cup finely chopped tamari almonds, for garnish (optional), available in health food stores 1/4 cup chopped scallions, for garnish. 1. In large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and saute until translucent, 5 to 7 minutes. Add garlic, ginger, garam masala, curry powder and jalapeno. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. 2. Stir in 4 cups broth, sweet potatoes, lentils and bay leaf. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium, partially cover, and simmer for 25 minutes. (If lentils seem dry, add up to 1 cup stock, as needed.) Stir in chard and salt and pepper, and continue cooking until lentils are tender and chard is cooked, about 30 to 45 minutes total. 3. Just before serving, stir in cilantro, lime zest and juice. Spoon into a large, shallow serving dish. Garnish with almonds if desired and scallions.
Roasted Broccoli With Shrimp
Serves 4 2 pounds broccoli, cut into bite-size florets 4 tablespoons (1/4 cup) extra virgin olive oil 1 teaspoon whole coriander seeds (or 1/2 teaspoon ground) 1 teaspoon whole cumin seeds (or 1/2 teaspoon ground) 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper 1/8 teaspoon hot chili powder 1 pound large shrimp, shelled and deveined 1 1/4 teaspoons lemon zest (from 1 large lemon) Lemon wedges, for serving 1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In a large bowl, toss broccoli with 2 tablespoons oil, coriander, cumin, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper and chili powder. In a separate bowl, combine shrimp, remaining 2 tablespoons oil, lemon zest, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and remaining 1/2 teaspoon pepper. 2. Spread broccoli in a single layer on a baking sheet. Roast for 10 minutes. Add shrimp to baking sheet and toss with broccoli. Roast, tossing once halfway through, until shrimp are just opaque and broccoli is tender and golden around edges, about 10 minutes more. Serve with lemon wedges, or squeeze lemon juice all over shrimp and broccoli just before serving.
Salmon With Steamed Kale
Serves 4 1 large shallot, thinly sliced 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth 1/4 cup water 1-1 1/2 pounds kale, tough stems removed, coarsely chopped (14-16 cups) 1 pound salmon, cut into 4 portions 1/4 teaspoon salt 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper 1. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook shallot, stirring, until beginning to soften, about 2 minutes. Add broth, water and half the kale; cook, stirring, until slightly wilted, about 1 minute. Add the remaining kale and cook until tender, about 8 minutes. 2. Sprinkle fish with salt and pepper and place on the kale. 3. Cover and cook until the fish is just cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes. Serve the fish and kale with lemon wedges.
Short Workouts, Big Results!
The Tone in 10 Kit Includes….
- FastFit – Five 10-minute workouts designed to give you a flatter, firmer figure in the fastest possible time.
- Tummy Trimmers – Mix and match the five 10-minute segments of Tummy Trimmers to tone, trim, and tighten your abs like never before!
- Total Body Turnaround – Three 20-minute balance, circuit and energy workouts to ramp up your calorie burn and attack trouble spots. If you don’t have time for all 20 minutes of the workout, complete as much as you have time for!