Is it Best To Eat Before or After a Workout?
To Listen, Just Click Play!
Last weekend, my daughter Perrie and I went on a biking/hiking birthday adventure in Moab this weekend. She’s is turning 29 this week. I blinked, and she grew up! I’m so proud of the person she’s become.
When I go on adventures with others, whether it’s on a 60-mile bike ride or a 20-minute morning HIIT workout, the discussion of when and what to eat always surfaces.
Is it best to eat before or after a workout, and how should I fuel for longer rides?
Today’s podcast guest, Dr. Felice Gersh, M.D. explains that it’s about more than just personal preference.
In this episode, she explains whether it’s best to eat before or after a workout, and the science behind why time-restricted eating will give you more energy, a clearer mind, greater immunity, and deeper sleep.
In this episode, she explains…
“In terms of weight loss, it has been shown that if you exercise before your first meal of the day and then, you eat within about 30 minutes of completing your exercise, you will build muscle well. And you will actually lose weight better. So there does seem to be something a little bit magical about exercising on a fast in the morning.
And once again, this should be for healthy people. There’s no data on anybody else. If people can do that…great.
There is some data, because of our insulin sensitivity and the time, that if you exercise in the morning, in general, you will tend to lose more weight than if you exercise later in the day.
To be honest, I’ll take exercise when anybody will give it to me. Because exercise at any time is better than none.
But if you’re going to go for best, then go for when you’re fasting in the morning before breakfast. That would be optimal for overall metabolic state and for weight control.
If you just can’t, then do it later in the day. But optimal seems to be if you exercise on a fast.”
Banish Fat • Slow Aging • Change The Way You Eat
… Without giving up
foods you love
EAT FOR VITALITY
… Fit Over 40 Meal Plan
meal plan and recipe e-book
Everything You Need for Fast Results
– Jumpstart Program: 6 days to kickstart your weight loss.
– Simple 6 Fit for Life eating plan: Shows you what to eat and when to eat
– Carb Cycling: When to eat carbs to rev up your metabolism
– 100+ Healthy, Wholesome Recipes: Breakfasts, lunches, dinners, snacks, and shakes that will inspire you to eat healthy, whole foods.
– Optimal Eating: Techniques to move out of the diet mentality and stop getting caught in a vicious cycle of dieting and then blowing the diet.
– Functional Food choices… Practical methods and guidelines to scale your way to becoming an optimal eater
– Facebook Support Group: Accountability, encouragement, and support!
– Stay Calm Solutions: This special technique helps you stop stress-eating, late-night snacking, and binging.
YOU MAY ALSO ENJOY…
Let’s stay connected! Follow me on Instagram and Facebook for additional workouts, recipes, and motivation. It’s a lot of fun. And, listen to my weekly conversations with leading experts in all things healthy. I’m here to help you appreciate your most important asset…your health! And remember, it happens one small step at a time.
BE SURE TO FOLLOW KATHY ON: