8 Ways to Replenish
YOUR EMOTIONAL RESERVES
During these challenging times, feeling stressed and overwhelmed is expected, but creating moments of peace within each day can nourish the spirit and boost your overall resilience.
Stepping up your self-nurturing habits can help lower anxiety and increase focus so you can think more clearly about the issues at hand.
Every day, our sense of inner peace vies with the stresses outside. I think of this as emotional energy reserves… Our healthy, self-nurturing habits build it up, and stress siphons it down.
At times when we’re feeling especially energetic, it’s human nature to take on too much, stay up too late, and drive ourselves too hard. This is like overspending when there’s money burning a hole in your pocket. Before you know it, you’ve splurged the energy you had and are left without reserves.
The trick is not to wait until you’re overdrawn.
Successful stress management means constantly monitoring your stress level and making daily deposits to your emotional energy reserves, by doing nurturing, rejuvenating activities.
When you know you’re going to be under pressure, look ahead and see what you can do to make it more manageable. For example, when I have a particularly stress-filled couple of weeks, I plot out breathing spaces; the good meals I plan to eat, the yoga classes I’ll attend – even the nap I’ll take on the weekend.
In addition, I have a short list of “emergency” remedies – guaranteed rejuvenators that I can count on anytime I’m starting to feel just the tiniest bit frayed or vulnerable. They’re not designed to solve all my problems in a split second; their purpose is to reinforce the habit of making self-nurturing choices. Each one is a spiritual oasis.
After reading mine, try to come up with some of your own. They don’t have to be complicated; a few deep breaths at a key moment can change your whole state of mind.
Kathy’s 8 Go-To Emergency Remedies
- A tension releasing stretch routine… Try this 8-Min simple routine that can be done in a chair and will open your chest and release tension in the upper back – https://www.kathysmith.com/kathys-corner/8-min-stretch-routine-everyone
- Treat yourself to a warm bath and add relaxing Young Living essential oils (my favorite is lavender) to turn it into a spa treatment! A luxurious bath can feel like a luxury after a long day and help ease any aching muscles. You’ll feel relaxed, comforted and clean afterward!
- Add a drop of a calming essential oil to your wrist or in a diffuser. Here are some of my favorite Young Living essential oils for anxiety…
Lavender • Valerian • Jasmine • Bergamont • Basil• Chamomile • Rose • Ylang ylang • Clary sage • Geranium
- Deep, rhythmic breathing. See what Patrick McKeown said on my podcast about a revolutionary breathing technique to improve sleep, boost energy, enhance conversation, and heighten performance… https://www.kathysmith.com/podcast/episode-84-patrick-mckeown-the-importance-of-nasal-breathing
- Take a meditative stroll in the great outdoors. Take five minutes to look closely at a flower. Study the details of its texture and the structure. By observing the smallest features of a flower or any object, you develop a sense of reverence. The flower becomes a little miracle. You begin to see how complete and fully alive the natural world is at all levels. Meditating on nature can be calming, fascinating, and inspiring all at once.
- Switch the car radio to a classical station – rock music and talk radio are designed to stir you up and sometimes that’s one stimulant too many.
- I love what Oprah said about gratitude, “I know for sure that appreciating whatever shows up for you in life changes your personal vibration. You radiate and generate more goodness for yourself when you’re aware of all you have and not focusing on your have-nots.”Tune into your breath and notice the natural flow of the inhale and exhale. Don’t change your breath, simply observe it. Pay attention to where in your body you feel the breath… your throat? Chest? Belly? Nose? As you feel the sensations of the breath, think of three very small things you’re grateful for. Perhaps its the way the sunlight feels warm on your skin, or the smell of tea steeping on the table next to you.
- Juggling – I love it; it forces me to clear my thoughts and be in the present!
Stress is normal, but if you let it escalate and peak, it can start costing you sleep, or worse. That’s why it’s important to find ways to take the edge off throughout the day.
Fix a Broken Metabolism
FREE Fit Over 40 Program!
“I’ve lost 8 pounds in 6 days!” – Charlene
Getting bored with your workout routine and need to mix it up? Fit Over 40 is a FREE program that includes 14 days of workouts, from walking to HIIT… from barre to ab routines, and MORE!
Plus, the private Facebook community of over 40,000 other encouraging members who are doing the challenge will give you the inspiration and accountability you may need to reach your goals!
Still not convinced?
Here are 5 reasons to get started with the FREE Fit Over 40 program….
1. Noticed a slump in your energy? Fit Over 40 is a complete fitness program designed to get you on track to maintain vibrant energy throughout the day.
2. If you’re feeling like your strength has disappeared, the toning workouts in Fit Over 40 will help you hit the pause button on decreasing muscle tone, and maintain a strong physique that represents the new ageless body.
3. Need an accountability buddy? Fit Over 40 members receive access to a private Facebook group with likeminded individuals just like you who are looking to get back on track and stay motivated.
Here’s what Elaine said about the Fit Over 40 group…
“I found it very encouraging and motivating just knowing that I wasn’t in this alone, and that it’s not a race. Thanks so much Kathy for the opportunity to join and belong to such an awesome group in this same journey.”
4. Feeling a lack of focus? It’s time to redefine the expectations of the 40s, 50s, 60s, and beyond. Make the seemingly impossible… possible!
5. If you’ve lost momentum and are playing catch-up, this 14-day program allows you to work at your own pace and see the results that you can get in just 14 days. The firming and toning that you’ll see across your entire body is a bonus!
Here’s what Tammy said about her energy levels after just 1 week of Fit Over 40...
“I feel better and have so much more energy...Thank you everyone for the support and accountability. Reading your posts kept me going knowing we were all in this together! Stay strong. We got this!”
You can have results or excuses… but not both!
YOU MAY ALSO ENJOY…
Let’s stay connected! Follow me on Instagram and Facebook for additional workouts, recipes, and motivation. It’s a lot of fun. And, listen to my weekly conversations with leading experts in all things healthy. I’m here to help you appreciate your most important asset…your health! And remember, it happens one small step at a time.
BE SURE TO FOLLOW KATHY ON: