20 Gym-Free Ways To Burn Calories This Weekend
A shocking study found that even dieters consume an extra 420 calories on the weekend. Although it may not seem like a lot, adding a few hundred extra goodies can stall your weight loss goals. Be a weekend warrior with these 20 ways to burn calories around the clock!
First things first…It’s important to understand that doctors, research journals, even the World Health Organization agree: Sitting is the new smoking. A sedentary lifestyle may be to blame for a host of illnesses, from fatty liver disease to diabetes, even for people who work out regularly but spend too much time sitting. Sure, we live in a computer-based world, and we can’t always jump up from our desks for a quick jog. But we can do a little more multitasking, and add more physical activity to our schedules on the weekends or when we’re not working. For adding activity to your day, it’s the little stuff that counts.
Try these 20 ways to burn more calories throughout your day without a treadmill:
- Join The Challenge! Each day for 22 days, I’m doing 22 pushups (and posting the videos on Facebook) to raise awareness of the fact that, on the average day, 22 veterans of the United States military will commit suicide across the country. Join me!
- Scrub Calories Away! Is your kitchen floor is in need of some TLC? Spending just 15 minutes scrubbing away can burn 115 calories. You’ll zap calories and shine your floor in the process 🙂 If you wan to go the extra mile, clean the floor with some paper towel lunges (see the video here).
- Picture Perfect. If you have a stack of paintings in storage that’s picking up dust, take 30 minutes to hang them up throughout the house, and burn an extra 100+ calories!
- Is Shopping Cardio?! Hit the mall with your family or friends this weekend! Shop away the calories by simply spending 30 minutes searching racks of new autumn sweaters. And, you don’t have to buy anything!
- Ditch The Cart. If you’re headed to the grocery store today, ditch the cart and pick up a basket instead. Lugging around the weight of your groceries will blaze extra calories. And as a bonus, you may spend less because you won’t want to carry around non-essential items.
- Spice Up Date Night! Instead of spending date night with the typical dinner and movie, swap it out with hitting the billiards table instead! Or, go bowling! The retro bowling alley is a perfect place to toss calories into the gutter.
- Savor The Season. Spring weather is coming to an end, so soak up the last few rays of sunshine and go for a bike ride. Pedaling at a moderate pace for 15 minutes can leave 100 calories in the wind!
- Go Exploring! Find a scenic spot in your surrounding area to discover. Instead of viewing your adventure as an exercise on a chore chart of items to check off, approach it as a challenge to complete.
- Put Your Feet In The Grass! Take your stretchy band to the park and set up your own personal bootcamp up in the grass with squats, lunges, pushups, and of course…stretches! Also, if there’s a park bench, put it to good use with some tricep dips.
- Chase The Sunrise or Sunset! Instead of hitting the treadmill, take it outdoors! Time your walks and runs for early morning or late afternoon, and reward yourself by capturing a glorious sunrise or sunset.
- Be The Dinner Host. It’s time to turn on Top Chef and follow along! Between chopping fresh vegetables and setting the table, you’ll burn extra calories and please the crowd with your tasty delight.
- Play Fetch. Leash up your furry companion and head outside for a game of fetch. Playing in the grass will boost your daily caloric burn, and you’ll have a doggone good time!
- Put On Your Dancing Shoes! Who said you have to go to a class to go dancing? Channel your inner Madonna and dance around your kitchen for 15 minutes. Not only can you turn this into a calorie booster, but you’ll finish your rockstar routine off with a smile.
- Instead of using the stair stepper, try hiking to a waterfall! Hiking is terrific for many reasons. In just an hour or two, you can escape into the fresh air, set your imagination free and breathe through whatever issues are on your mind. Climbing is a fun workout that also does wonders on your glutes, legs and fat-burning abilities.
- Laugh! Laughing for 10-15 minutes a day burns an additional 50 calories. It may not sound like a lot, but if you do it every day, that’s 350 calories a week by simply enjoying a good joke.
- Clean up! Move your trashcan away from your desk, so instead of a reach-and-toss, you’ve got to go for a short walk to throw things away.
- Make showtime your fitness time. When you’re watching TV, make the commercial break your fitness break, alternating lower-body-firming plies with core-strengthening planks.
- Visit a friend. Instead of calling a friend or your next door neighbor, take a stroll outside to say “hello” in person.
- Go for the incline! Learn to love the stairs, or at least, the calorie burn. A person climbing stairs uses around 10 calories per minute, or 360 calories in just 20 mins.
- Pick Up A Hula Hoop! What I love about hula hooping is that it’s fun, it burns calories, it whittles your waistline, and you can do it anywhere!
You can hula in your house, your backyard, the beach, or the top of a mountain, but the main point is — have fun doing it! So, grab a small or large hoop, and start having fun!
- BONUS: Walk & talk! For those long-distance loved ones who love to catch up by phone, head out for some fresh air with your cell, and walk and talk. Isn’t it about time we put the “mobile” back into “mobile phone”?
You can tone up and burn calories in a way that’s convenient for you. It just takes a little bit of creativity. You don’t have to dramatically reschedule your day. All you have to do is find new ways to add movement throughout it. Start with these tips, and get creative with your own!