Summer Emergency 911
Like the holidays, summer always seems to sneak up on us. After all of our preparation, in spite of our best intentions (and the inevitable racket about getting “bikini ready,”) we’re suddenly in the thick of it. Perhaps we didn’t meet all of our health and fitness goals – but that doesn’t stop us from heading to the beach or the pool and enjoying the gorgeous weather. It’s not too late – it’s just a minor emergency. And like most emergencies, the easiest solution is 9-1-1:
9 Fast Fat Burning Food Tricks:
1) Shake things up. A good protein powder isn’t just the foundation for delicious smoothies – it’s a cornerstone of a quick fat burning food plan, since you’ll use it as a meal substitute. I recommend a whey-based powder that’s low in sugar and free of artificial sweeteners. And here’s the classic recipe: Add a scoop to a cup of ice with a serving of frozen berries, a tablespoon of flax oil and 4 ounces of unsweetened almond milk.
2) Eat smaller meals more frequently. It’s not just what you eat – it’s when you eat. So try eating 4 meals a day. The aforementioned tasty smoothie will be 2 of those. The other 2 meals should consist of a lean protein like (grilled chicken or salmon) with some veggies and olive oil. (And don’t worry, there are plenty more mouth-watering options to come.)
3) Shake off the salt. Even though the American Heart Association recommends that we have 1,500 mg/day of salt (down from the previous 2,300 mg), Americans are still averaging 3,000 to 5,000 daily. Extra salt leads to water retention and bloating, so use restraint when cooking, and always check the labels of packaged foods. A good rule of thumb: If the sodium content is higher than the number of calories, put it back on the shelf!
4) Fill up on fiber. Refined carbs (which generally lack fiber) are quickly digested, which leads to a spike in insulin, which can lead to fat storage. That’s one of the reasons veggies are so important – their high-fiber content helps with elimination, and helps you feel fuller longer, which reduces the chance that you’ll overeat.
5) Think about your drink. You should be chugging a pretty consistent amount of water right now – but avoid the temptation to sneak in a diet soda during this process. They tend to fill the belly with air (the last thing we want this time of year), not to mention that they’re a source of unwanted sodium and chemicals.
6) Go herbal. Get creative with your cooking, adding in herbs that are great for digestion. Ginger is a well-known stomach aid, while peppermint and parsley can have a diuretic effect by actually helping to relax your intestines.
7) Pump up the protein. As I mentioned above, protein plays an important role in healthy weight loss. It helps build lean muscle tissue, improves recovery from workouts, stabilizes blood sugar, helps you avoid cravings, and makes you feel less hungry between meals.
8) Get wet. Water makes up 68 to 72 percent of our blood. And being fully hydrated is one of the most basic secrets to weight loss. It helps your metabolism function properly and transports molecules, including the fat we are trying to burn. If you want to burn fat, it must be able to travel out of the body. Water helps provide that vehicle.
9) Map out your menu. For an in-depth description of my 2-week fast track fat-burning program, including a complete one-week sample menu (the ultimate answer to a summer 911), click HERE.
1 Fat Burning Move You Can Try NOW
Time to focus on some emergency fitness solutions. Some call the “Burpee” the single best move you can do to get fit. Combining fat-blasting cardiovascular power with a sculpting workout for your shoulders, arms, legs and glutes, the Burpee brings new meaning to the term “compound exercise.” For a quick and easy home tutorial on the Burpee with yours truly, click HERE.
1 Workout To Full-Body Fitness
If you like the “all-in-one” aspect of a move like the Burpee, you’ll love the effectiveness and efficiency of Kettlebell training. Kettlebell workouts take that killer combination (full-body sculpting plus fat-burning cardio) to a whole new level, providing a complete toning, stretching, strengthening, weight loss and wellness system. Try my Kettlebell Solution – it’s the ultimate 911 response to your summer fitness emergency.